Saturday, December 26, 2009

What happens if I refill the Yellow and Cyan printer cartridges with black ink?

I have a Brother 420-CN which stops printing black if any of the color cartridges is empty.





Even though I rarely print color, the Cyan and Yellow cartridges are empty now and as a consequence of the design of the printer I am no longer able to print black anymore. I don't want to buy or refill the color cartridges, because they are expensive and I don't use them. I only want to be able to print black.





The question is: does anyone know how to circumvent this problem? What if I refill the emptied color cartridges with black ink (the same kind of ink that I use for refilling the black cartridge)? Has anyone tried this? Thank you for your hep!What happens if I refill the Yellow and Cyan printer cartridges with black ink?
Well there are 2 consequences:





1) Everytime you want to print the black, you will need to change the font to yellow / cyan since the printer doesnt know it has the wrong ink in it.





2) Black ink is normally pigmented and color inks are normally dye-based. Printer manufacturers specially formulate them to interact so that you get nice black lines without inks smudging into one another.





-%26gt; so... if yours is this kind of printer, the moment you pour black ink into your yellow and cyan cartridges, they will interact and gunk up your whole system as there will be some leftover yellow/ cyan ink in your system. My advice is not to do it... really.What happens if I refill the Yellow and Cyan printer cartridges with black ink?
I guess you know that when you print you mix colours, to get certain results, black is used as a toner to get colur and should not be added to your cyan or yellow catridges, as the compuer will just use black to mix the colours and so all images will turn out black.





The images will print but the cyan and yellow are still used even if you don't notice; I haven't tried but I know people who have it is best just to print in grayscale.
Something very odd.





Seriously though, it shouldn't fit. That or it will have odd consequences like spraying out black randomely or maybe damaging the printer.
All that will happen is that everything will be always printed in black it won't harm the printer. If you try and print something in color like a picture it will just be a black square and you won't be able to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment